5 Reasons To Run A Half Marathon
I love to run longer distances. I've run my share of marathons and will probably run many more. But, I've come to love the half-marathon. It's a great distance to race - and even though it's not as long as a marathon, it's still a great accomplishment and takes discipline in training.
Here are my top 5 reasons to plan a half-marathon race:
1. You are just starting to increase your mileage and want a challenge - but not ready to move up to the marathon, yet. The half-marathon is perfect for you!
2. You may not have the time to put into marathon training - but still want a major accomplishment. Training for a marathon can be time consuming. You have to be able to make chunks of time available for your training. And, you need to be able to take one day to run 4+ hours. If you're just starting your running program - you may not want (or be able to) to that. Also, job/business/family responsibilities.
3. Even though it's not a marathon, the half-marathon is still a race that needs to be respected. If you're not properly trained - this distance can humble you as the marathon can. You're running 13.1 miles. Go out in your car and measure 13 miles. You'll see that it will be an accomplishment to finish!
4. You will learn about goal setting. You will have a running schedule and will need to hit your weekly goals which in turn will lead you to your race goal. There will be ups and downs along the way - but you will also learn how to handle those and to persevere!
5. You will gain such confidence in yourself! With achieving your goal of finishing the race - you will get a confidence boost in other areas of your life. You'll feel that you can accomplish anything you put your mind to. The joy that you'll feel when you cross the finish line really can't be described! You'll know that you've trained hard, and that you've finished. And, believe me, it's a wonderful feeling! And, that feeling stays with you for days! You'll see how it spills over in all areas of your life.
I think that the half-marathon is a perfect race. You have to train hard and have to have a plan. And, I love the feeling that I get every time I finish one. I hope you decide to join me this year - my next one is coming up in a couple of months!